Apple has released its Podcasts app for iOS. Available from the iTunes Store, this app automatically spots the audio and video podcasts on an iOS device, and lets you play them from there. There is also a Top Stations feature, which groups podcasts that you might want to discover.
I’ve only just started playing with the Podcasts app, and some things aren’t clear. For example, while podcasts display in this app, they are still visible in my Music app. (I don’t have any video podcasts.) Also, the Top Stations feature isn’t displaying artwork, so I don’t have any idea what podcasts are on each “station.”
This app will be most practical, if, as I recently suggested, it syncs podcasts via iCloud, so you can subscribe to podcasts on one device and not need to download them to iTunes and sync them. And if there is this syncing, you’d be able to listen to podcasts on any of your devices.
Here’s the feature list:
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
I’ll post more information tomorrow after I’ve explored the app. But if you’re a podcast listener, download it and try it out.Posted: 6/26/2012 by kirk | Filed under: Apple & Mac OS X, iPod & iTunes | Tags: iTunes, podcasts | No Comments »